Anatomy Scan Follow Up & An Emergency Surgery!

It's been an eventful week to say the least.

I got a call from the doctors office on Wednesday. There was a concern with our Anatomy scan. My cervix appeared short. They asked if I'd ever had any prior cervical surgeries etc. Nope. Apparently sometimes it's just genetic. The next day on my way home from an early day at work I got a call from the specialist to come in for an ultrasound to confirm their suspicions.

They got me in right away so I headed over. Joe met me at the office. He was off work that day. The specialist immediately stated that my cervix is way too short to hold Finley in for the entire pregnancy. She said I would need surgery to have a cerclage placed to stitch it closed and that she was going to call my regular OB right away to let her know.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot, my doctor called me personally very concerned about what the specialist found. She said that I needed surgery the very next morning. I was told to go straight to the hospital to register and have my pre-surgery blood work done. So much was thrown at me in such a short time. I could barely think straight. One minute I was having a perfectly healthy pregnancy and the next we were at risk of losing Finley. The hospital registration was a big blur as was the night before surgery.

The next morning we woke up at 3:50 am to make it to the hospital by five.

Joe and my Mom were able to be with me in the prep area until I was taken to pre-op, where I had the IV placed and waited to be wheeled to the operating room. The anesthesiologist told me "your baby is going to go to sleep with you and she will wake up with you". That kind of scared me. When they asked if I was nervous and needed something to calm me down I declined because I didn't want Finley to get any unnecessary meds. I asked the nurse if they were sure that the anesthesia was okay for my baby and she assured me it was. The surgery wasn't bad. The IV sting was probably the worst part followed by the back pain upon waking up. I later learned that was pre-term labor. I handle anesthesia well, so I had no sickness. Soon after waking up I felt Finley kicking away, which was a huge relief.

I was released from the hospital pretty quickly. That day of surgery I was pretty sore as well as the day after (yesterday). I'm feeling better today, just very apprehensive about getting up and putting weight on my cervix.

I've had several light contractions which have been very alarming to me since pressure on my cervix is not a good thing. I called my doctor and have been put on meds to stop these contractions which overall have been working pretty well. I still get some tightening when it's about time for the next pill.

Next week should be the follow up appointment with my OB to check on the stitch. I'm on bed rest until then. I've heard of good outcomes with these cerclages so I have high hopes. In a lot of cases, women with this complication have to be on bed rest for long periods of time so I won't be surprised if that happens. My only concern for the next few months is cooking this baby and I will do whatever it takes. Hopefully, at my doctor visit there will be some progress and my cervix will have lenghtened...not really holding my breath though. I also have a follow up ultrasound with the specialist on the 11th.

Our doctor told my Mom and Joe that she wants to shoot for thirty five weeks and I pray we make it that long. Looks like Finley might not be a June baby. Hopefully I'm wrong. I've heard of some women having to be induced after having their cerclage removed, usually due to scar tissue. Time will tell! Thirty seven weeks is considered full term. If my Doctor is shooting for thirty five, that isn't too bad.

For now I'm just trying to keep occupied and stay sane. I'm so glad this was caught. So many second trimester loses are caused by an incompetent cervix and had it not been seen, who knows what could have happened. My family has been so wonderful taking care of me. I don't know what I would do without them, especially my Mom.

I had no idea how lucky I was during the first part of my pregnancy. I'm so jealous of women who get to enjoy their easy pregnancies. However, four months of difficulty is a small price to pay to have Finley here with us and healthy.

On a positive note, her crib came in today. Joe had to work so my Dad was nice enough to go pick it up for us. The box is in her room right now ready to be assembled.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...